Thursday, November 20, 2008

What was I thinking?? **Not a Rivalry post!!**


First off this has NOTHING to do with BYU/UTAH rivalry. Yes Gerry is a big huge BYU fan and I became a fan supporter when we got married. But I do not get into the rivalry because I think some people can be mean...and I like to consider myself a nice person. And we do have family and friends who go for the Utes. So this is just a funny story I thought I would share as I sit here waiting for Gerry to get home from young men's meeting so I can go meet up w/ the gals to go see TWILIGHT. And with the BIG game coming up this weekend...it's kind of appropriate! :) Well maybe!

So I was born and raised in Utah. I lived there 26 years. And when I moved out to CA, I have to admit I was homesick...and maybe a tinge small part of me still is. Okay maybe more. Well we had just moved here to CA, and we went one Saturday out to the beach to play. When we were setting up our umbrella, towel, etc...Gerry noticed this guy wearing a blue hat with a big white Y on it. I was so excited to see someone from "home". I couldn't contain myself. I know I totally embarrass Gerry, but I said oh I have to ask! Gerry said NO! So I was enjoying the beach and happened to be by the wife/female of the guy with the hat...funny how that worked out! and so I said "Are you guys from Utah?" With a big smile! I honestly was so giddy and happy to see someone from "home". WEll I didn't receive the same smile I produced! I just got this funny look back. I then said "I mean I just thought with your husband wearing a BYU hat...you might be from UT!" Then I got the most disgusted look back and the snottiest voice ever, "Oh NO, that is for YALE!" Of course I should have known. What was I thinking? I just replied..."OH!" and hurried back to Gerry. I was dying laughing at what a fool I made of myself. Gerry I think was completely embarrassed at his wife whom can not keep her mouth shut! However I know we both got a great laugh out of that....and I still laugh when I think about what a complete idiot I looked like! But hey I am proud to be from UTAH! I love my "home"! But until that time comes when it is no longer a 12 hour with kids drive to "home" ...we will enjoy the sunny weather, beaches, and call this "home for now!" Hope you enjoy the BYU/UTAH game...whatever the outcome may be. I have to say I hope ...hope for BYU to pull it off...it would make a very happy husband and weekend!! Go BYU!!

5 comments:

Clements Family said...

Well I sure you wish you were here! I am going to call you tomorrow!! That is such a funny story!

Bree said...

K I saw you went to twilight... it blows totally ruined the book. What did you think? Some say Cali will break off and fall into the ocean but I don't know if it is really true or just rumor. They say with the big earth quake that has been waiting to blow for years now if it is as big as they think it will be the east bench will be completly ruined, and the west side will be flooded because the great salt lake will break and run all over and the middle is the safest. Everyone is always saying, aren't you scared of hurricanes my response is at least we know they are coming .... right! they might come every year but we have pleanty of time to leave not in an earth quake.

Brett and Becca Muir said...

You have the cutest kids ever! It sounds like you guys are loving california. I love reading your blog and seeing how you guys are doing. Tell gerry hi from brett and i.

Mikesell Family said...

Leave it to you Becca! You make me laugh. Of course I would have been right there with you giddy to see someone we might know. Did you just LOVE the movie. I need to go back AGAIN!

Di said...

Sounds like people associated with Yale aren't as friendly as those from BYU... ha ha.
Hope your husband wasn't too upset this weekend after the game :)
I got your writing on my wall and we for sure should get together when you come down for Christmas!