Sunday, December 27, 2009

My baby story...for those who care to read

Don't feel like you need to read...but I wanted to journal before I forgot Clint's birth...
So it all started looking like this. Not the best moment of my life...but I was happy to finally get to meet our little guy. So Monday November 23rd I was admitted to the hospital at 7:30am. The doc gave orders to start my induction at 8:30am and the long day started. I was nervous because with both my other kids my cervix isn't what you call good (this may have too much info) so I have always had to be admitted the night before to get Cervidil which helps your cervix ripen. But my ob didn't want to do that since he would be across town at another doc office all day and with Lauren I was only in labor 3 1/2 hours and he wanted enough time to make it to deliver Clint. And it was a 45 min drive in traffic. So needless to say I was worried this would up my chances of c-section...the one thing I did NOT want.

So I was dilated at 1-2 when they induced me at 8:30am. Labor pains started and I was having strong consistent contractions so I said I wanted my epidural before they were too painful. Honestly they weren't bad at all...I just tend to be a baby and didn't want to reach the too painful point. So I got my epidural at around 10:30. At that point I was dilated to a 3. When I got the epidural this is where things went a little sketchy...which later makes me a bit upset. And I know there is always risked but I wish the anesthesiologist just would have explained things and told me a bit about what may occur the following week. Anyway when the anesthesiologist was doing my epidural he went too far in for an epidural and ended up doing a spinal, which hit a nerve and bleed out...so he had to re due it and then the 2nd time the epidural went fine. but then my heart rate dropped too low so they had to give me medicine to up my heart rate. Anyway it scared me to death. And since I got both a spinal and epidural I was fully num.

Well they kept checking me throughout the day and I stayed dilated to a 3 forever. At 4:30 pm I was still at a 3. They talked to my ob who said they were going to most likely do a c-section. And that he would be to the hospital at 6:30pm to do that if nothing happened. At this point I am literally crying. I was so upset...I had discussed the whole thing with my ob about my cervix and talked many times about how I had to have the Cervidil to help. So I was mad at my doctor. Gerry was so sweet and calmed me down and comforted me. I knew everything would be okay and Heavenly Father would bless me either way. I was just terrified of being cut open. I told Gerry to go get something to eat and bring it back, just as well since I was only at a 3 and doc wouldn't be there for 2 hrs. So Gerry left. As I was laying in bed waiting. I started to feel pressure down there which the nurse had talked about many times to call her if I did. Well being a 3 I thought this was just in my head and the nurse was going to be annoyed when I called her in. but I did anyways! :) So she came in at 5:30pm and checked me and I was dilated to a 10 +1...WHAT?? Gerry walked in right then. I said put down your food...we are having a baby!! Well remember my doc was doing a c-section at another hospital and wouldn't be here until 6:30pm...1 hour away. The nurse said don't sneeze, cough, push or anything the baby will fall out. I was so happy but scared with no doc. The nurse left and said hold on. At that time I felt even more pressure and call for the nurse because Clint was coming. So the nurse rushes in with another female who asked if I wanted her to deliver the baby. I wasn't sure she was a nurse or doctor...so after drilling her, she told me she was an obgyn for 15 years now and where she had done all her schooling...and so forth. Just had to make sure I had a doctor who knew what they were doing! :) So after 2 pushes nothing strenuous Clint arrived...5 lbs. 9 ounces, 18.5 inches at 5:45pm cute as can be and healthy!! I felt so blessed. Our prayers were answered, no c-section, no complications, just a perfect little guy who we loved immediately!!

The recovery was honestly harder than the labor or delivery. Since the anesthesiologist messed up I ended up having horrible spinal head aches. My obgyn who I wouldn't refer to anyone wasn't helpful with anything and so I just had to deal with the headaches for 2 weeks...which Loritab wouldn't even touch. Then on top of it my upper butt and lower back were numb for 2-3 weeks. Which was annoying. and then I also had awful back pain that felt like a herniated disk (which I have had before). Really I shouldn't complain, but this recovery was hard. I honestly don't remember this from either of my kids. Then I got mastitis which seriously brought me to tears. Loritab and ibuprofen wouldn't touch my 102.5 temp. and the body aches. I have never felt so crummy. But we are past that all...I can finally write this and be so happy to feel so much better. I just can't wait to start working out and get into some normal clothes. Note never go to the mall after just having a baby...not the most self esteem building moment!! :) However ALL COMPLETELY WORTH IT!!

7 comments:

Clements Family said...

Oh I loved reading the story...I am sorry for all that you went through. Isn't it crazy how labor can be so different with each kid. I am glad that you are starting to feel better. Clint is absolutely adorable, and I can't wait to meet him. Soon...right???
I love all the pictures, so cute!

McKee said...

I am so glad to didn't need a c-section. They are not fun. I am glad you recovered so quickly. You have a cute baby.

Karen said...

What an intense story! I am glad you are back to being your healthy self. I had mastitis with both kids and it isn't fun. I didn't have any of the other stuff though. I don't think you should have to get any kind of sickness or irregularity after a new baby... you just had a baby. Shouldn't that be enough? Congratulations on a successful birth story!

Heather said...

It's hard enough adjusting to 3 kids. I'm sorry you had this on top of it. Clint is so dang cute! I can't believe how chubby he's getting. I can't wait til you're here and I can hold him. Maybe we can start working out together...you know since the boys are. I need some motivation to get me to do something.

Mikesell Family said...

See that's why I can't have any more kids....just don't think I can handle any of it:) Glad he's here and as cute as ever!

AngiDe said...

oh man what a rough recovery! I am sorry to hear all that... so crappy. But glad to hear that you are doing well and loving that little boy of yours... he's a cutie!

XO

Di said...

Interesting story... I was wondering the complications you talked about in your testimony today and meant to ask you. I'm glad I came to your blog and caught up. It was so good to meet Clint and see you guys. The blessing and lunch was wonderful! Hope to see you later this month.